Thursday, June 14, 2012

Quotes

Here are some of my favourite quotes I've been collecting recently:

“Indeed, the only truly serious questions are ones that even a child can formulate. Only the most naive of questions are truly serious. They are the questions with no answers. A question with no answer is a barrier that cannot be breached. In other words, it is questions with no answers that set the limit of human possibilities, describe the boundaries of human existence.”
Milan Kundera, The Unbearable Lightness of Being
I learned about Milan Kundera's work here in class when I started reading his book, The Unbearable Lightness of Being. For me it was one of the most eye opening books I've ever read. I know I've done some reading logs on him in the past, but to me he seems like one of the most insightful people I've ever come across. If you have the time read one of his books... There's a new revelation on almost every page. It really changed the way I thought about the world.
He who obtains has little. He who scatters has much.

While this isn't necessarily one of my favourite quotes, Lao Tzu is also another one of my favourite.. Authors I guess would be the word. I learned about his work while reading A Million Little Pieces. The author of that book received a book while in rehab called Tao Te Ching, and shared some quotes in it that I found interesting. I looked it up online and apparently it's a book on Taoism. While reading it I really enjoyed gaining the new perspective of thinking about things like the earth and how you wish to react to certain situations. 

“So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.”
― Chris McCandless 
I watched the movie Into the Wild a while back, and it was another one that made me think about life differently.. While I've always kind of had the dream of being a doctor and making lots of money this really made me stop and think about what it is I want to do with my life.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment