Friday, May 11, 2012

Reading Response #8

Ok so I'm reading The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen. I've read 33 pages so far. I'm not really sure if this could be considered a reading response, but is it just me or is it weird that this middle aged woman keeps on writing books about teenagers? I've read a couple of her books already, like Along For The Ride and Just Listen, and dont get me wrong they're alright stories, but one thing I always got from them was that it seems strange that this 40 something year old soccer mom is writing about a 16 year olds love life. And has anyone else noticed that all of her books are the same? Something traumatic happens to girl, girl feels shut off from the world, girl finds boy that makes her feel "alive" again, some melodrama occurs between them, problem solved, girl no longer depressed. Literally, every single story of hers is like that. The family life isn't good, dad dies, sister is anorexic and it's tearing the family apart. I could tell you the plot of the story before I even open up the book. I know a lot of famous authors do this all the time, Skapespeare being one of them.. But could you please be even a little more creative. Throw in one good twist. Another thing I don't like is that every one of her main characters always needs a guy to help her fix her problems. I'm not some crazy feminist over here but why can't you have at least one of your characters figure their shit out on their own. I guess that formula isn't the one that's getting the books off of the shelves though. Anyways, I guess I better get back to the book, and see if this Wes character is going to help Macy out of her boring little life. Is it just me or are we starting to see a little bit into the psyche of the author? I mean, it's been 10 books of this stuff. Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment